Dr. James D. MacDonald's Website
Helping Parents Help Children. Programs for Parents, Therapists & Educators
About Training Workshops and Seminars
Dr. MacDonald provides training that focuses on one question;
How can you help a child communicate and socialize more maturely and effectively in your relationship with the child, whether you are a parent, therapist, teacher or other kind of life partner.
The workshop is a summary of 30 years of research and clinical experience directed to the above question . The sources of the workshop material include the following.
- 30 years of studying and teaching about how typical and atypical children learn to have stable communicative relationships, both preverbally and verbally.
- Over 25 years of supervising students, therapists and teachers with hundreds of children with language delays.
- Over 25 years of direct clinical work with over 600 families with late talking children .
- Writing and management of 18 years of federally funded research and demonstration projects.
- Publication of over 30 articles and six books on early language development, with a focus on the role of parent child communication.
- Development of a series of intervention programs including, assessments and both parent -and professional -based teaching programs.
- Planning and supervising school-based language development programs.
- Special research and clinical focus on children with Autism, Down Syndrome, Severe motor disorder, and Behavior disorders.
- Currently, developing the Responsive Teaching curriculum for parent education of children at the developmental ages of birth to three, with a focus on children with delays, with Gerald Mahoney.
- Currently conducting the Communicating Partners Center, a service and resource practice, including therapy, continuing education, and Internet networking including a website and active list serve.